TREVA TABIOS: "HAIKU TO CANVAS"

"HAIKU TO CANVAS"
TREVA TABIOS
JANUARY 2019




[click on all images to enlarge]

Treva Tabios’ exhibition of 2018 paintings provides a rare opportunity to see an artist at literally her birth: these paintings are, with one exception, chronologically her first 14 paintings!

Treva’s progress is unimaginable. She wasn’t setting out to be an artist, per se, when she began painting. She was simply looking for a new hobby. So she painted her first painting “Indulge” which was intended originally as living room decoration. But she posted its image on Facebook and it made me sit up and take notice. I sent over some encouragement.

She then posted her second painting, “Consume by fire.” At that point, I not only encouraged her but encouraged her to “Go big.” A comparison of her first painting “Indulge” at 20” x 30” and, say, her fifth painting, “Wild Ride” at 36” x 48”  is telling:


"Indulge"

"Wild Ride"


Treva’s paintings clearly benefit from her talent as a bold colorist. Such boldness extends to her fearless use of glitter. Curious, I asked about her background or views regarding color and glitter. She replied:

“I did research online on color theory because I love colors together that draw attention to the eye. I like pleasing colors, it relaxes and excites my mind all in one. Glitter came because I love shimmer including in my everyday life, jewelry clothing accessories, etc. I love that glitter stands out and captures you attention. I bleed glitter, glitter is my favorite color. Dramatic sigh.”

Treva also says she enlarged her scale because I (and my husband--this is a family affair!) suggested she do so. When I asked about the effect of “Go[ing] big,” she says the process boosted her confidence. Her works testify that that confidence is well-placed. I hope that Treva continues her explorations in painting as the resulting works show an immense talent which has barely flexed its muscles.

It’s a delight then to present below Treva’s first 13 of 14 paintings below in the order in which she made the paintings (she kept one painting behind for her home as we agreed not to exhibit it). We also present with each of her paintings a haiku she created then wrote on the backs of the canvases—the haiku says as much about each individual painting as she might in prose. Enjoy!

Images of each painting is presented before its respective haiku:


“Indulge”


Emotion riding
Enticing rollercoaster
Relish this journey 

*

“Consumed by fire”


Rage builds inside me
Must be strong to survive this
Blooming from within 

*

“Flower child”


The Rose scented air
A dying light in despair 
Adorn symphony 

*

“Drowning”



The air is humid
A churning in the stomach
Memories fade black

*

“Wild ride”


My thoughts burn of fire
Genocide to my demise
The mind, a wild ride

*

“Together”


Forget me not love
I am nothing without you
Life without meaning

*

Bleeding Mind”


In difficult times
The heart is a bleeding mind
Stay strong, and keep looking on

*

“City of Angels”


Aroma of rain
Noisy, completely insane
Pause for some silence

*

 “Cold”


Earthquake shaking love
Your heart is warm like summer
Eyes cold as winter

*

“In my head”


To be in a world
Filled with colors everywhere
Time is black and white

*


“Mirror”


Looking at myself
Another person looks back
Bipolar mind set

*

“Self”


You must be yourself
They may think you are crazy
Live laugh love crazy

*

“Sunflower”

Smile like sunflowers
Your loving is sensual
Those kisses are sweet



***

While this untitled painting is not part of the exhibit, in tune with its theme of showing a painter at literally her birth, this 40 x 60" painting is the next painting completed by Treva after the group shown in her exhibit.  It is apparently awash in glitter, which may not be discernible from this photo below. But seeing this does make me enthusiastically look forward to tracking the future development of this naturally-talented artist!





***










Comments

  1. That's some incredible work. Very expressive. Can't wait to see what else she has in store for 2019. Very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and inspiring work! "Flower Child," "Together," "In My Head," "Self," and "Untitled," really do it for me. You are a talented colorist and have a real gift to share with the world. For me, the art brings the words alive and the words tell the story in the painting. Keep painting and I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment