MEL VERA CRUZ: "WHY DO WE PRESERVE WHEN ALL ARE MEANT TO FADE?"

“Why do we preserve when all are meant to fade?”
MEL VERA CRUZ
March 2019



Interview Between Eileen Tabios (ET) and Mel Vera Cruz (MVC)

I love dwelling in the dark. I feel at home in it. It’s where I feel nurtured and protected because of its silence and emptiness. It is where all my creative juices come from. This trance is my reality and it’s where I keep my balance because everyone’s afraid of the dark. They keep on rushing to the shiny and glossy like the moth to the flame.

I must stay and impregnate the abyss because it’s where all creations come from. I must honor it so I won’t burnout and not be its slave like most people seem to be.
—Mel Vera Cruz on “Rice Boy’s Deity”

ET: Your statement regarding “Rice Boy’s Deity” seems to summarize a fundamental belief on your part about life and art. How did you come to think this way—about the dark, and the notion of “impregnating the abyss because it’s where all creations come from”?

MVC: When I was young, I had no clue what I was up to but I already knew which path I wanted to take. I really never understood ‘art’ up until my adulthood when I realized I used it to cure myself. I understood I was confused but it never occurred to me that I was using art to cure my psychosis. Art has done wonders for me physically, mentally, and spiritually. I never lost that reason or purpose because I knew at the back of my mind that it was the source. It was a revelation. Art is the light that guided and saved me through my dark moments and this understanding kept me grounded. I finally understood because when I really get to my core, my gut, my essence, the beginning or the source, it isn’t about ‘fame,’ money or the accolades. Art made me realize myself and understand all of the reasons why I was making art.

It took a lot of courage because a lot of people told me otherwise, especially during my time when our parents think that we’re only fooling around when we’re drawing. My parents were so scared of something not tangible or something they cannot equate with money, which I totally understand. But the moment it dawned on me that what I was doing was right, no one—and no institution or tradition—can stop me because I asked all the questions they were all scared to look into, and this unlocked all of the doors that were invisible for others but not to me. My courage to ask those questions revealed to me my core, my essence. Once I knew myself, I was  unstoppable.

I think we will only repeat everything when we only follow what we’ve seen or what we’ve been told to do. Artists should have the courage to go beyond the norm or beyond what the eye can see. We need to dive within the deepest abyss of our ocean, or what we call the psyche, to really understand. That’s what I meant when I said I can impregnate the abyss because I totally believe that, as with the inside of the womb, it is where creation and originality come from. I must be the Yang to the Yin. I think it’s the artist’s duty to guide others on how to navigate the unconscious or the unknown.

ET: I can see how, when you were younger, you might start out with non-traditional art supply store materials. But you stuck with this idea of never using art supplies from art stores (do I have that right)? What happened over the years that made you adhere to using material from your daily living? That is, when or how did you create more philosophical thoughts to how you would integrate such material into your art? Any influences from other artists? (I think you once told me years ago Santiago Bose was helpful to you in thinking out your approach… ?)

MVC: The main reason I use everyday materials is that art isn’t a career for me. It isn’t separate from the rest of my life. My views always comes from the eye of an artist and that’s the reason everyday things are part of my art materials. The cosmos is my workshop as they say.

I had no art resources when I was in grade school because I lived in the province. All I had was a pencil so it was my only drawing tool. During high school, we got to do stencils to print on textiles. I didn’t have access to silk screens so I used cardboard stencils instead and this stuck with me because I love everything that deals with the basics. All of the noise can be confusing so the gut or the core is very important for me because I know how important it is for everyone to not listen to the noise so as not to lose their essence.

I lost it for a while when everyone told me to paint in the European style because everyone thought that whatever they say as art was art. I followed that tradition for a long time so I painted a lot of cubist and impressionist styles until I realized it’s all empty for me. I was like the moth to the flame. It was a dead end. I was like a parrot mimicking what I heard. It wasn’t me. This was when Santiago "Santi" Bose came to me. He’s the one who lit my fire and showed me the right way. He gave me the courage to be myself. I had an instant bond with Santi because we’re both ‘syano,’ FOB or country boys. He came from Baguio, I came from the province of Quezon. It’s hard to explain but I feel that our kind of people uses intuition more than logic as compared to others who had no ‘provincial’ experience.

The revelation Santi showed me gave me the guts to go back to my core. It was one of the greatest gifts ever. Being liberated from the dictates of society is ‘nirvana’ and I will never exchange that feeling from anything else. I realized my own power. I will stick to it and that includes the art materials I use because I never want to lose it again.
With Ajax, one of the gallery dogs:
ET: I do consider your choice “political”. How would you consider the politics of your decision to use the kind of material you use?

MVC: I’m pretty sure my conviction not to use traditional art materials is political because I am protesting against what they tell us what art should be. I am the artist and I know that we are the ones the system should follow, not the other way around. As I stated above, I did paint a lot on canvas but I’m not saying everyone should stop doing it. To each their own. It’s just my conviction not to follow others because I feel I have to stick to my core so as not to lose myself again.

ET: How do you create and/or source the text that you come to write on your works?

MVC: Oh, those texts. They are my informal manifesto. Those writings came from my esoteric studies like astrology, palmistry and numerology. I have been reading and studying them for several years now. I am thankful these divinations (considered by the church as taboos) opened a lot of knowledge for me. With some of them, I just rearrange; but a lot of them are original. Those texts are samples of what I say that I gathered from the abyss. Some ideas came while I was riding the BART so it’s important for me to always have a pen handy because we never know when that spark will come.

ET:  How have people reacted (either positively or negatively) to your use of daily life material vs. more recognized “art supplies”?  Reacted as art viewers or as folks you meet during various public showings.

MVC: Haha. I find them (reactions) funny because most of them have no clue what I was trying to rebel against. I totally understand that people are scared of everything that they haven’t seen or heard before so it doesn’t bother me. I never take it personally when someone tries buying one of my pieces but wants something removed from it. I just say no sale. Haha. These reactions are normal and I am ready for them because I never take my or anyone’s opinion seriously. What’s important for me is that I know for sure that I’m carving a new path for anyone to follow.

*********

North Fork Arts Projects is pleased to share close-up images of Mel Vera Cruz’s artworks, followed by a brief artist statement. All of these exhibited works are from a mixed-media series he made in 2017:

Title: Rice Boy’s Deity
Size: 24x32 inches


Statement: I love dwelling in the dark. I feel at home in it. It’s where I feel nurtured and protected because of its silence and emptiness. It is where all my creative juices come from. This trance is my reality and it’s where I keep my balance because everyone’s afraid of the dark. They keep on rushing to the shiny and glossy like the moth to the flame. I must stay and impregnate the abyss because it’s where all creations come from. I must honor it so I won’t burnout and not be its slave like most people seem to be.


*


Title: Guy N Pip / Bobot ‘N Vi
Size: 32x20 inches


Description: Art isn’t a separate thing for me. It is not a career. It lives inside me. It is my reality. I used that pizza box from Costco as guard for boiling oil popping out while frying fish. The background on the left side is a Manila envelope with a picture of Maya Angelou glued on it. My subject, Filipino heart throbs during the seventies (Guy and Pip / Bobot and Ate Vi) were icons and considered as ‘low-brow’ but a lot of gourmet foods started as street food. I can see when a king is naked because I maintained my innocence.


*


Title: Carlos Bulosan
Size: 26x20 inches


Description: I used to make t-shirt stencils when I was in high school because it’s so accessible and easy to make. You just need a cardboard and X-Acto knife and boom, you’re in business! Back in P.I during the 70’s, we only had Alemars and National Bookstore, the only local source of limited art supplies. I won’t lie to you, Banksy influenced me to use it again.


*


Title: Mukasim
Size: 16x18 inches



Description: My wife asked, ‘Do you want this mango box in the recyclables bin?’ I told her no because I might have some use for it in the future. Here it is. Mukasim was a popular TV commercial about the Datu Puti brand of vinegar which is very common among Filipinos. It means your face gets distorted with goodness or sourness when you try Datu Puti vinegar. That image was from a Datu Puti bottle of vinegar, which is why I titled it 'Mukasim.'


*


Title: In Transit
Size: 38 x 43 inches


The work is two-sided, hence two images are presented--this is the reverse side:



Description: When Filipinos travel, they don’t care if the other passengers use Gucci or Louis Vuitton because what matters to us are the contents of the luggage, not the outside. Sharing our experience and abundance are way more important to us than any of those brand names combined.


*********

ET: By the way, and related to your cardboard-based works, I’ve been able to visit the Philippines and visit some contemporary art galleries in Manila only once; this was decades ago. But I remember the works I saw in this one gallery (I think it was owned/managed by someone whose last name is “Dee”) of various Filipino artists using non-traditional material and how the dealer said it was partly a means of rebelling against Western art. I recalled this conversation when, subsequently, I first saw your cardboard works years ago at the Philippine Embassy in San Francisco; I’ve been forever grateful you gave me two of those works and I have enjoyed living with them over the years!


Interestingly, after living with these works, I came recently to see their influence on some shadow-box poetry sculptures I made. For the shadow box, I used cardboard boxes typically used for my dog food supplies. What’s interesting is that I could have used these wooden wine boxes for shadow boxes; I live in Napa Valley and see many wine boxes, many of which are rather elegant. I set aside numerous elegant wood wine boxes thinking to create shadow box sculptures one day. But I finally recycled them and used these plainer cardboard boxes instead. I think their “ordinariness” ended up having a greater appeal than the elegant wood boxes I got from wineries—and I think living with your two “Adobado” works influenced my thinking. So thank you for that.

This is a photo of all of the shadow-box sculptures, which are some of my explorations of the line and the circle, using the hay(na)ku poetry form. As they also were published by Datableed, you can see close-up images at Datableed's website HERE.


MVC: Awesome! It’s what I live for, Eileen. To spread the light! Cheers!






Comments