JUAN ELANI TULAS

"Kadilian (Coral Reef)" 
December 2019 - January 2020



North Fork Arts Projects is pleased to share the art of Philippine-based artist Juan Elani Tulles. He first came to our attention with lovely colorful works that he crafts by upcycling styrofoam (styropor). We are delighted to welcome four of his small artworks to North Fork. As you can see in the above shot, we chose to install his works on the floor rather than hanging on the wall. We placed them on the floor to refer to the under-the-sea/underground location of corals which inspire these works. While we show his evocations of coral reef images above, we also share them below as the artist portrayed them in his studio in Ilocos Sur, Philippines, followed by an interview conducted in English and Ilocano:


(click on all images to enlarge)

Eileen Tabios (ET): How did you get started with your styroart? How long have you been doing this?
Juan Elani Tulas (JET): My first exposure to art was the Baguio art scene. I studied there during the late 90’s and at that time, my brother, Tuls, was still into art and an artist resident at Tam-awan Village. Ti kakadwa na idi a nakitkitak ket da Rene Aquitania, John Frank Sabado, Rishab Tibon, Kigao Rosimo, Santiago Bose, Benedicto Cabrera, Kawayan de Guia, Mark Dungaw, Jordan Mang-osan ken dadduma pay a pinarsua a natallugadingan iti kinalaing nga agaramid ti art. Haanak pay lang nga artist idi, ngem mapmapanak tumultulong no ada exhibit ken art festival da. Kaykayat ko ti sumursurot ken ni manong ko idi uray awan ti tangdan ta libre met ti arak. Mapmapanak haan nga gapo nga kayat ko ti art ngem gapo ta ada lata ti inom. Hahahahaha!  Because of my brother, I had a backdoor peep on their art processes. Baguio artists were heavily into mixed media. They were using and experimenting with varieties of material such as bamboo, dead cat, marble, nail, used posters, used books, textile, feather, Xerox art, rocks, computer parts, broken tiles, broken glass, hand-made paper, threads, rubber cut, trash, bones, pen and ink, beads, and solar art. They were sticking everything and anything that they thought would enhance their visual storytelling. That was where the inspiration came. If Jordan Mang-osan could harvest the heat of the sun and use it as his art medium then maybe I can come up with something. 
The idea of using diluted styropor as an art material started in 2000. That was also the time when I decided to become an artist but first I must come up with something that had never done before.  The first material that I considered using was candle. Candle has variety of colours and it looks good on canvas when melted but the problem was that when you put it under the sun, it will liquefy, dissolve and then disappear. Then I noticed a pile of styropor at our place. I remembered that when we were high school students, we used to dilute it into glue for recycling projects. I started to toy, play and innovate it for years. Prepared a lot of experimentation, trial and error, observation, testing the strength of the material, and a lot of study and observation. Through time, I learned about its strength and weakness. Enhanced its strength and provide a solution to its weakness. Inruar ko lang idi 2008, idi amo kun iti characteristics na. I only put it out when I already understood the material inside out. 
It’s been 19 years now.

ET: Please describe how you get your raw material of Styrofoam.
JET: I used to roam around the town and collect every discarded styropor that I could see, from styro plates, styro cups, fruit boxes, styro boxes for appliances, to fishermen styro buoy, everything, I collected them all. Agkaiwara lang ti styropor idiay karayan, waig, kanal, igid iti baybay, ken sigurado idiay dumpsite iti ili.
If there was a big project and I needed a bulk, I used to buy at fruit stands. It was 20 pesos a box. Market vendors also buy styro box from them. It is where they put their agricultural products like garlic, onions, seeds, etc. 
Now, I have a friend who worked at our town’s market. He segregates all discarded styro and delivers them to my place. At least, every end of a month, I have a truckload of styro. Free art supply.
Friends and neighbours also drop their styro at my place.
Foremost, my mother-in-law also collects styro for me.

ET: About how many styroart works do you estimate you’ve made over the years? 
JET: If I will count all my works, lost, destroyed and existing, probably more than a thousand. I also have installation arts that comprises small pieces – hundreds of small pieces connected to form a single artwork. 

The following are photos of two art installations:

"Where have all the bees gone?"
"homesick vs. dollar"

ET: Do you think you would have stuck to making this type of art without the benefits to the environment of taking noncompostable Styrofoam and creating something with it?
JET: I use diluted styropor as my art material not because I am an environmentalist but because I want to offer the art scene a novel and unique art. I am not schooled and had not attended any art seminars or workshops so my drawing or painting skill is basic, raw, and ordinary. I could not compete with the fine arts of those who attended art schools. I needed to create something different to offer. The environmental part has just came along with it. A bonus.

The following is a photo of some of Juan's art in his home:


ET: Describe your process of melting (?) Styrofoam. Is it not dangerous to your health?
JET: Idi ubingak, araramaten da ti natunaw a styropor a pantapal iti abot ti bubong. Awan py lang iti Vulca Seal idi, su nga styropor ti pantapal daIdi nagbasa nak iti elementarya ken high school, pasaray aramiden ti kaaduan nga estyudante a proyekto iti science investiture daytoy natunaw a styropor. No ibabad mo ti styropor iti gasolina ket agbalin a pikit. That was the general idea, styropor plus gasoline equals glue. Then I just innovate it and used as an art material.
Yes, it is dangerous to my health but it is the risk that I am willing to take. I tried commercial materials such as resin, polyurethane, spraypaint, thinner, etc. and I think they are more destructive to our health than diluted styropor. Even oil paints are dangerous to the artist health. Cigarette smoking is dangerous to our health. Soda drinks are dangerous to our health. Lechon is dangerous to our health. Hahaha!
The only thing that I can do is to minimize the risk. Wear mask. Wear gloves. And paint outdoor. Paint beside a bamboo tree. Eat healthy foods and exercise. 

ET: I’m delighted to exhibit your works, in this case some small ones.  But how large do you go and I believe you’re also doing sculptures and not just paintings?
JET: Pakadayawak a maipabuya daytoy styroart ko dita ayan yo ma’am. 
I would want to do a hundred basketball court-size styro art if someone is interested to finance and find a place to mount it.
Iti panagkunak, mabalin pay daytoy a pagbalinen a kas parte ti balay. Haan lang a kas painting nga arkos ti balay no di ket a kas pader mismo ti balay, a kas flooring wenu bobeda, wenu bubungan…ada kuma designer weno architect a makabigbig ti potential iti naresiklo a styropor a mabalin usaren a kas infrastructure material.
Yes, I am currently enjoying doing 3D arts. We had just finished building our home and I am stuck with a lot of wood lumber used as endamyo. I don’t know how to sculpt but I know how to use the hammer and nail, so I started using those wood and combine it with diluted styro and try to tell visual stories in 3D.

"tweet! tweet! tweet!" (styro on scrap wood)

ET: I understand the reception has been wonderful, including exhibits internationally. I believe George Takei even twittered or posted about you, highlighting THIS VIDEO OF YOUR WORK. Please expand on the type of people and places who collect and show your works.
JET: I am an outsider, a self-taught artist from the province. And it was very hard to join exhibitions if you do not have contacts. Fortunately, social media was developed. Idi ununana ket agpopost nak lang idiay Multiply account koMedyo positive met iti response ti tatao.  Then, I tried to join art calls posted on the net. There were a lot of rejections, a thousand of them. I sent also my portfolio to commercial galleries but with negative results.  Fortunately, there were those who like it to the extent that they had given it a try for exhibiting it at their galleries. There are also senior artist who are helpful to the newbies like me and include me in their shows. I persevered, neglected rejections, and honed my craft. Luckily, opportunities to exhibit to other places have knocked on my door. 

Pasaray ada met tatan ti masalsalian a exhibit, ngem narigat lata met ti makalako. Ada met ketdi sumagmamano nga agkainteres a gumatang ngem sagpaminsan laeng. Kunana ngarud diay kaaruba mi nga gumatang na lang kanun iti bagoong ngem ti gumatang iti painting. Hahaha. Ada met ti pasamak idi nga ada limabas idiay igid ti high-way a pagpinpintaak. Diak impagarop idi a agbuybuya gayam idiay likod ko. Nagustuan na siguro ta gimatang met iti artwork ko. Maysa suna gayam a curator iti maysa a mabigbig a museum. Naminsan, ada pay ti nangabakak a pasalip nu pay diak met simali. Ti premyo na ket makasali iti exhibition idiay maysa a prestihiyoso a lugar. Kayat siguro diay organizer daytoy styroart ko ta nangabakak met uray haanak simali. Ada pay iti exhibition idi nga ti nakaangayan na ket gallery a ada idiay igit ti kalsada. Panawen ti eleksyon idi ket ada limabas a pulitiko. Nakita na diay artwork ko, simardeng ken gimmatang. Daksanggasat ta naabak met iti timarayan na a pwesto. Hahaha!  Pasaray pay agidonar nak idi iti artwork no ada fundraising no ada napasamak a kalamidad. 100 percent a mapan ti paglakuan ti art kadagidiay benepesiaryo. Awan ti mapan kaniak ken siak pay ti manggasto ti shipping na ngem ti pagsayaatan na ket dagidiay gimatang a kolektor ket nalagip dak latta met idi agipatakder dan iti gallery da. Dayta ti gapu na no apay a nakasali nak iti exhibit idiay Hong Kong. Ada pay iti naamamok idiay social media idi nga philanthropist, baknang nga awan sa pangipanan na ti kuarta na. Mahilig suna iti visual art ken poetry. Nagaramid iti grupo a ti miyembro ket ganganaet ken Filipino, santo nag-organize iti exhibit idiay maysa a nangina a restaurant. Inexhibit na ti works mi sananto ginatang amin. Inikan nakami pay ti awards. Siak ti napili idi a best artist. Ngem seyempre, ada latta met ti negatibo a paspasamak. Ada idi ti gayyem ko nga artist a ada ti baro a art gallery na, inembitaran nak nga agsolo exhibit. Mayat met. Mayat diay event ta naragsak met ken nakalako kami. Ngem idi panagbabayadanen ket haan na met inteden diay bayad artwork ko. Inestafa nak meten. Hahahaha!

Maysa nga adaw, agreresearch nak idi ti maipanggep keni apo Venancio Igarta, maysa a pioneer a artist a kailian mi, taga Sinait, Ilocos Sur. Tinandaanak no asino diay nagsurat ket innayon ko a kas pagayam idiay Facebook. Taga-ilocos met lang gayam ti poon na. Nakayatan na siguro daytoy styroart ko ta ipabuya na met idiay ballasiw-taaw. Madama nak pay a ininterviewen ta ipabuya na pay idiay world wide web.

A lot of unexpected things have happened and I will be endlessly grateful to all of those who appreciate my art.

Tata ket nakafocus nak nga agaramid ti adu a art exhibit ditoy ili mi a Sinait. Sumalsali nak latta met iti exhibit idiay sabali a lugar ngem kayat ko nga ada met kuma  art events ditoy ayan mi. Anya ngay ti serbi na nga ipakpakitak dagiti aramid ko idiay sabasabali nga lugar no ti mismo nga ilik ket awan met ti art na. Ada ti panganan mi a turo-turo a pasaray pagtamtambayan dagiti estyudante, inaramid ko daytoy a artplace. Nakaexhibit ditoy ti styroartko ken artwork met dagiti lokal a artist ditoy Ilocos. Bugbugek isuda it art exhibits tapno maexpose da iti art. Ayos met ti resulta na ta agsardeng da met nga agayayam ti cellphone da a pasaray mangmiramira kadagidiay artworks. Mayaten dayta a rugi na, macurious dan. Ti puntos ko, kuna da gamin a dapat magyan ka idiay Manila tapno agbalin a kuarta dagita aramid mo ngem haan met a nasayaat a pagyanan idiay, maymayat lata ditoy probinsya. Bugbugek na lang dagit agtutubo ditoy ili mi iti art exhibits tapno maexpose da iti art. Ket nu ipalubos ni Apo, agbalin to dagitoy a abogado, doktor, enhinyero, wenno successful a businessman, isudanto met lang ti agbalin a collector iti art no addan ton iti nawadwad a pagsapulan dan. Kapadasak met lang dayta, diay kaanakak ket mahilig a agbasa iti libro ken exposed ti arts. Idi ada pagsapulan nan ken nakaurnong ket haan met a baro a branded bag ti ginatang na no di ket gimatang ti styroart ko. Haan pay a timawar gapo ta ammo na ti banor ken rigat na a inaramid.

ERT: Thank you for sharing your works and thoughts with North Fork Arts Projects. 

I'd like to encourage our readers/viewers to visit Juan Elani Tulas' website:  At the website, you also can access the illuminating YouTube video on his work and life. Here's some more examples of his art -- I love how he upcycled those saws!


"Skyline"

"Skyscrapers"


*****








Comments